Los Profesionales con Alfredo Jimenez with Dr. Ewa J. Antczak
Youth Day Global 2020
Dr. Ewa J. Antczak was interviewed to the eLearning course titled: “Learning Disabilities Explained: How To Support and Empower the Child That Struggles” designed and developed in partnership with Learning Disabilities Association of Peel and Family Education Centre. You can watch exclusive: Professional Perspective Videos here.
Are you the discouraged parent or caregiver of a child who is struggling at school and/or is finding social situations with their peers challenging? Do you suspect your child has a learning disability or has your child already been diagnosed with one?
If so, this one of a kind eLearning course designed and developed in partnership with Learning Disabilities Association of Peel and Family Education Centre is for you!
Discover what a learning disability is; what a psychological assessment is and how it can help your child; what an Individual Learning Plan is and the process for obtaining one; and the importance of your role as a positive influence in supporting your child’s education and their social development. Listen and watch other parents of and children with learning disabilities talk about their experiences, struggles and successes through our exclusive People’s Perspective Videos. You will also discover what several experts have to say through our The Words of the Expert sections as well as watch exclusive Professional Perspective Videos from School Psychologist, Dr. Ewa J. Antczak, C.Psych and Special Education Teacher, Lorri King B.A. B. Ed., Special Education OCT.
*Please note that in this course we reference only the learning disabilities (such as ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Executive Dysfunction, Language Disorder, Dyscalculia, Auditory Processing Disorder, and Dysgraphia). We do not address developmental disabilities such as Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral palsy or other developmental disorders. If your child has a developmental disorder you may still find much of the information contained in this course useful. If your child has autism, we suggest you complete our eLearning course, Pathways to Potential: Parenting a Child or Youth with Autism.
By completing this e-learning course, you will:
- Discover the importance and role your perspective, mindset and attitude towards your child’s learning disability in shaping and influencing how your child sees himself/herself.
- Explore some self-care options for you and gain an understanding of the importance of taking care of yourself.
- Explore in detail the characteristics of the most common learning disabilities (ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Executive Dysfunction, Language Disorder, Dyscalculia, Auditory Processing Disorder, and Dysgraphia)
- Identify the basic traits and early signs that may indicate a learning disability.
- Explore the ways in which your child learns to help you become your child’s best advocate.
- Examine concrete parenting strategies and information specific to your child’s learning disability to help aide their school efforts and enhance their social development.
- Learn some general parenting strategies to help you encourage and support your child.
- Learn how to create the best conditions for your child to learn and help you avoid frustration by transforming it into positive action.
- Learn what various professionals have to say about your child’s learning disability and their tips/advice on how to support your child.
- Relate to other parents and children or youth with a learning disability as they share their experiences, struggles and successes through our People’s Perspective video series.
- Discover in detail what a psychological assessment is and how it can benefit your child.
- Learn what an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is and how your child’s school will use it to create conditions conducive to enhancing your child’s learning experience.
- Identify some of the social challenges your child with a learning disability may be facing and discover some strategies that can aide your child in developing these skills.
- People’s Perspective Videos
- Professional Perspective Videos
- Workbook (download & Print at beginning of course)
- Optional Tip Sheets & forms (download & print)
*We would like at acknowledge and thank Learning Disabilities Association of Peel for their time and contributions to this e-learning course. In addition. we would also like to express our gratitude to the parents, youth and volunteers who generously and courageously shared their own personal experiences and made our People’s Perspective videos possible. Thank you as well to Dr. Ewa J. Antczak, C.Psych. And Lorri King, B.A. B. Ed., Special Education OCT for sharingtheir knowledge and experiences in working with families and children with learning disabilities for the Professional Perspective videos.